STAR is dedicated to not only increasing recycling rates in Texas, but also educating Texans about their state’s own recycling industry. We host regular free webinars featuring experts on a wide range of topics, including – municipal recycling programs, hard-to-recycle materials, and so much more!
- Recyclebank–Educating, Promoting, and Inspiring Residents to Apply the 3 R’s– This webinar was presented by Diane Doster, Director of Community Solution Sales at Recyclebank on February 7. For more than 12 years, Recyclebank has been working toward a waste-free future by focusing on the real-world impact of inspiring and motivating individuals. As the first rewards-for-recycling program of its kind, it introduced the principles of a circular economy to a mainstream audience. By partnering with communities and a variety of brands, Recyclebank leverages its Marketing-as-a-Service and behavior change platform to educate and incentivize citizens to make better purchasing and disposal habits. Doster shares details about the Recyclebank program, and how it has evolved over the past five years, as well as a few case examples for both large and small municipalities and various program options depending on a community’s solid waste infrastructure, technology and goals. View the webinar and recording here.
- History of Municipal Solid Waste Management in the U.S.– Chuck Rivette, Director of Planning and Project Development at Waste Management, presented this webinar on the History of Municipal Solid Waste Management in the U.S. on Thursday, September 8th. Recycling and Disposal have an interconnected relationship weaved by the threads of economics and regulations. Rivette gives a brief timeline of waste management in the U.S. dating back to 1895, when the NYC Cleaning Commission first organized municipal collection started, to the first landfills, to the forming of EPA, to Congress’ eventual involvement, to modern day landfills, recycling and regulations, to what the future of landfills and waste management holds. Download the presentation here or take a listen with this link.
- Planning for a Disaster: Debris Management After a Storm– Featuring Anne Cabrera and John Buri from the Post Disaster Programs at Tetra Tech, the webinar dives into coordinating debris removal efforts and understanding “best practices” and case studies associated with disaster debris management. This presentation is based on lessons learned and a best practices approach to disaster response and recovery. Slideshow presentation is available here.
- STAR, in partnership with Tetra Pak North America, hosted a three-part webinar series in November 2015 that identified opportunities for expanding recycling in Texas and highlighted successful municipal recycling programs, both in and outside of the state. Each of the webinars focused on particular tools for moving material recovery forward in three key areas: infrastructure, policy, and education/communication. Slideshow presentations and videos from the webinar series are available here.
- Recycling Opportunities in Challenging Places – Featuring Andee Chamberlain from Texas Parks and Wildlife and Rachel Hering from Cooperative Teamwork and Recycling Assistance (CTRA), the webinar explored some of the barriers and best practices to setting up and executing successful recycling programs in challenging places, including rural areas of Texas and our state parks.
The slideshow presentations from the webinar are available here:
- Community Engagement and Education – We partnered with Keep America Beautiful to tell the story of their “I Want To Be Recycled” campaign. We also brought in Barbara McConnell from ‘my-waste’ Technology Solutions to talk about the unique challenges and opportunities involved in reaching the millennial generation.
Missed the webinar? You can look back through both presentations by clicking the links below: