As we celebrate the coming of a new year, full of hope and promise, we at STAR wanted to take a moment to look back to recognize and share our activities and successes of 2020.
Despite almost a full year of the COVID-19 pandemic and its restrictions, STAR and STAR Councils were able to maintain a level of activity close to usual, by moving them online. We are proud of all we were able to accomplish, and could not have done it without our members, Mission Partners and supporters! Without further ado, here are our Top 10 Successes of 2020 (in no particular order).
the STAR 2020 Top 10
- The Texas Recycling and Composting Summit was held October 5th–9th, successfully combining our annual recycling and composting conferences into one big event for the first time ever, while also being moved to an online platform for the first time.
- STAR and STAR Councils held 12 webinars and online activities throughout the year, including:
- The 3rd Annual Texas Reuse Contest was held August 17th–October 20th, with great entries submitted from across Texas. Winners will be announced in January!
- We began work on the Recycling Market Development Plan, a result of the successful 2019 passage of Senate Bill 649 in the Texas Legislature. STAR worked with partners Burns & McDonnell and Circular Matters to survey recycling processors and end users, as well as hold Stakeholder Forums on Recycling Market Development. We look forward to working more on this project in 2021.
- We welcomed 168 new members and 10 new Mission Partners to STAR!